In 1966, residents interested in preserving Helotes' history formed the Helotes
Historical Society. The group was spearheaded by Lucy Perkins Brown, editor of the town newspaper, The Helotes Echo,
and Wanda Terry, owner of the Hickory Hut Restaurant, which opened in 1979 in the Gugger General Store (est. in 1881) in Old
Town Helotes. The Society began compiling oral histories and notebooks of newspaper clippings and photographs about
Helotes, and it met regularly at the Hickory Hut to hear talks about the history of the area.
who served as the first President of the Society and who was known as a "walking history book of Helotes," suffered
a heart attack and died in November 1988. The next month, the Society dedicated the Lucy Brown Memorial Library in a
small cottage owned by the Terry family next to the Hickory Hut. After Wanda Terry passed away in 2005, the library closed. The
Society's archives were moved to Helotes City Hall, located at 12951 Bandera Road, where they remain in safekeeping today.
A name change
in 2010 to the Historical Society of Helotes, along with an application for incorporation and 501 (c) 3 tax-exempt status,
which was granted March 23, 2010, signified a renewed effort to continue the work of Lucy Brown and Wanda Terry and
establish a solid foundation for future Society endeavors.
Today, the Society sponsors
many events and activities to fulfill its mission to preserve the history of the area and provide educational opportunities.
One of its primary goals is the future realization of a museum and visitors’ center in Old Town Helotes.
view the video above for a retrospective of the history of our Society!